5 Wellness Habits for a Better You
Hi guys! This post compiles five wellness habits to try for a better you in 2015. Habits are the building blocks to your lifestyle, so it’s important to choose your habits wisely. This year I’m in the process of releasing negative habits and inviting positive habits into my life. This list is just a starting point. Remember to start small, work on only one or two habits at a time and make sure you’ve committed to them fully before starting to add new ones.
1. Oil pulling
Oil pulling is a traditional Ayurveda remedy where oil is swished or held in the mouth. Because bacteria are cells coated in lipids (fatty membrane), the oil pulls those cells and collects the toxins in your mouth.
How to oil pull:
- On an empty stomach, take 1 TBS of oil coconut oil, sesame oil, or sunflower seed oil
- Swish it around in your mouth for 10-20 min. Do not swallow; you don't want to ingest those toxins!
- Spit the oil into toilet, not your sink (or it will clog)
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water, and then brush as usual
Benefits to oil pulling: Whiten teeth, increase energy, detox body, reduce headaches, clear skin, promote oral hygiene
2. Drinking more water
I think we all agree that keeping hydrated is super important. First off, calculate how much water you should drink daily:
WEIGHT (in lbs) x ⅔ = ____ oz
(Add 12oz for every 30 minutes you work out)
Keep a water bottle near you at all times so you can continue to sip.
Track your water intake with an app! There's Waterlogged on iOS.
Benefits to drinking water: fluid balance, clear skin, increase energy, improve digestion, promotes weight loss, flatter tummy, boost immune system, relieve fatigue, kidney function, clearer thinking, flush away toxins, save money, save calories
How to practice mindful meditation (generally):
- Sit comfortably, close your eyes, relax all of your muscles
- Focus on your breath
- Observe your thoughts as they pass, but don’t entertain them
- Always bring focus back to your breath
If you're starting out, try meditating for 2 min and build from there. The key is to make meditation a daily habit. I like to meditate for 10-20 min in the morning after writing morning pages. My favorite meditation timer is Zenfriend on iOS – I set it to chime every 5 min and write notes to keep track of my sessions.
The benefits to meditating are endless:
- mental: destress, improve focus, increase creativity, increase happiness, develop intuition, improve memory, gain clarity & peace of mind
- physical: lower high blood pressure, increases serotonin production (improves mood and behavior), improves immune system, increases energy level, decreases tension-related pain, slows aging
- spiritual: emotional steadiness and harmony, evolve consciousness, personal transformation, and so much more
4. Daily gratitude
How to practice daily gratitude:
- List 5 things you’re grateful for each day
- Make sure they’re 5 different things each time
- FEEL the gratitude genuinely
This is a great way to start your morning, and should give you a boost in energy and life. Gratitude is such a key factor in creating happiness and a more meaningful life.
Tips for stretching:
- Before stretching, warm up for five to 10 minutes (light walk, jog, bike)
- Stretch in a smooth movement, without bouncing. Bouncing as you stretch can cause injury to your muscle.
- Hold your stretch for at least 30 sec
- Relax and Breathe freely
Benefits to stretching: Relieve stress, calm your mind, improve flexibility, decrease the risk of activity-based injuries, increase circulation of blood to the muscles, improve posture
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjzeA9Vfe5Q?list=UU-ga3onzHSJFAGsIebtVeBg]Now it's your turn. What wellness habit will you add to your lifestyle this year? Answer in the comments and I will make a shoutout to you in my next video!
How much do you really know about yourself?
Discover more about yourself and what you want out of life with this free downloadable list of 30 self reflection journaling prompts.