136: Tech Startups & Building an App w/ Vibely Founder Teri Yu
If you've ever wondered what it would take to create an app, this episode's for you! We're talking to Teri Yu, the founder of Vibely: an app to help people make meaning connections and find their community, both online and offline.
Teri walks us through the journey of a tech startup: figuring out the purpose of your app, building the necessary tech & business skills, deciding when to take the entrepreneurship leap, getting funded, dealing with rejection and failure, and refining your app over time.
community on Vibely has been thriving, with friendships and in-person meetups
all over the world, so I'm so grateful for this behind-the-scenes look into how
this community came to be!
In this episode we
- 1:32 – How Teri built up her tech & business skills before taking the entrepreneurship leap
- 5:48 – How to start a tech company: 3 key principles to follow for creating your own app
- 8:00 – Why it doesn't matter that Vibely didn't turn out how Teri originally wanted it to
- 9:55 – The hardest part of running a tech startup & How Teri deals with the pressure
- 12:26 – The finances of a startup: Fundraising, finding investors & bootstrapping
- 19:07 – How Vibely can change the future of friendships, social media & community
- 21:22 – Embracing rejection: Teri's secret to productivity and accomplishing goals
- 24:36 – Lessons from a tech startup founder: What Teri would've done differently
- 27:10 – Teri's dream life, book recommendation, life-changing habit, best received advice & favorite part about life
- 32:06 – Key takeaways on: Rejection, ways to approach entrepreneurship & dealing with business lows
- Lavendaire community on Vibely | https://lavendaire.com/vibely
- Resources for building an app:
- Contagious by Jonah Berger
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- 2020 Artist of Life Workbook
- The hardest part is getting back up when you fall down – and you're going to fall down a lot.
- Everyone you meet is a new perspective, a new story, a new experience.
How much do you really know about yourself?
Discover more about yourself and what you want out of life with this free downloadable list of 30 self reflection journaling prompts.