224: Emotional Wellness, Toxic Positivity, & Trauma w/ Whitney Goodman
Living a healthy, balanced life requires having good emotional health. Unfortunately, many people overlook this crucial element, and most of the time we hardly understand what is actually beneficial or not, like toxic positivity. In today's episode, we focus on how to take care of our emotional self, toxic positivity, dysfunctional family patterns, and understanding the definition of trauma on a higher level. Join us today in this information-packed episode with Whitney Goodman and learn more about emotional wellness to live a better life.
Whitney Goodman is the radically honest psychotherapist behind the popular Instagram account @sitwithwhit, author, and the owner of The Collaborative Counseling Center, a virtual therapy practice in Florida. Whitney's debut book, Toxic Positivity: Keeping It Real in a World Obsessed with Being Happy, shows readers how to shift the goal from being happy to being authentic in order to live fully. A millennial on a quest to make mental health information accessible and easy to understand, Whitney helps people who want to improve their relationships and emotional wellness.
- 6:33 – Radical acceptance
- 7:26 – What is Toxic Positivity?
- 8:33 – What is Optimism?
- 10:23 – Positive affirmation is not for everyone
- 12:32 – Examples of toxic positivity phrases
- 14:27 – Keys to living a full life
- 18:26 – The basics of emotional wellness
- 21:52 – How to take care of our emotional self
- 29:54 – How to heal from trauma: do's and dont’s
- 31:57 – Trauma is a part of your story
- 33:44 – The concept of Parentification
- 41:36 – How to set boundaries within your family
- 43:07 – Nurture better mental health
- 46:54 – Definition of Trauma
- 50:54 – Alleviate Childhood Trauma
FIND WHITNEY ONLINE
SUBSCRIBE TO THE LAVENDAIRE LIFESTYLE PODCAST
How much do you really know about yourself?
Discover more about yourself and what you want out of life with this free downloadable list of 30 self reflection journaling prompts.