235: James McCrae on Healing, Exploring Your Shadow & Purpose through Creativity
Creativity and creating is not only “for the talented” as society and our upbringing might have led us to believe. Creativity is a language in itself, a means for expression, exploration, meditation, and healing. Join Aileen as she and James discuss his journey to discover his own unique magic to turn imagination to reality, and how creativity is an extraordinary medium for communication and healing.
James McCrae is a creative strategist and the founder of the Sunflower Club, a global community dedicated to creativity as a tool for personal healing and social transformation. His books include Sh#t Your Ego Says and How to Laugh in Ironic Amusement During Your Existential Crisis. James lives in Austin, Texas.
- 2:54 About my creative and spiritual journey
- 6:07 Writing the first book
- 13:12 Creating what’s authentic to me
- 19:58 How my process came about
- 28:00 The importance just showing up
- 31:26 The act of creation is like jazz music
- 35:15 I was trying too hard to be perfect
- 38:40 The ways I meditate
- 44:11 Breath of fire
- 45:55 One of the biggest shifts in my life
- 47:58 Creativity is a human necessity
FIND JAMES ONLINE
SUBSCRIBE TO THE LAVENDAIRE LIFESTYLE PODCAST
How much do you really know about yourself?
Discover more about yourself and what you want out of life with this free downloadable list of 30 self reflection journaling prompts.