102: A Mindful Guide to Zero Waste Living w/ Anita Vandyke
Zero waste isn't just about the trash or the plastic. The modern environmentalist lives in a way that is mindful of their inner values, gentle on the environment, and still creative and chic! Today's guest is Anita Vandyke: rocket scientist, blogger, and author of “A Zero Waste Life: A Thirty Day Guide”.
Aileen and Anita talk about how decluttering brings you both physical and mental space, how to be a minimalist and still wear designer clothing, what a ‘zero waste' life truly looks like, and much more.
In this episode we explore:
- 1:35 – Why Anita quit her corporate job as a rocket scientist to study medicine
- 3:20 – From maximalist to minimalist: Consumerism, financial struggles, and responsibility to the environment
- 7:51 – How zero waste and minimalism can improve your relationships and bring you back to your values
- 10:00 – “Eco-luxe living”: Having a beautiful, mindful, and sustainable life (while still looking stylish)
- 15:04 – Advice for beginners who want to spread the zero waste/minimalism message
- 16:24 – A Zero Waste Life: How ‘zero waste' goes beyond trash, recycling, and plastic
- 18:13 – The truth and danger of recycling plastic + The big four sustainable living switches
- 22:44 – Privilege, accessibility & ways to make zero waste work for your own life
- 27:02 – Anita's year of giving back: Balancing being a new mom, writing a book, studying medicine, and blogging
- 29:55 – How do bring zero waste to the manufacturers creating the waste?
- 33:02 – Q&A: Anita's dream life, recommended resource, life-changing habit, best received advice & favorite part about life
- A Zero Waste Life
- Tidying & Konmari Playlist
- My 3 Step Waste System (Bokashi bin)
- Cradle to Cradle by Michael Braungart & William McDonough
- Dropps | dropps.com/lavendaire (Promo code: LAVENDAIRE)
- The modern environmentalist is about living sustainably but also living in a chic way.
- Now that I know better, I have to do better.
- Plastic is mother nature's non-renewable resource, and time is ours.
How much do you really know about yourself?
Discover more about yourself and what you want out of life with this free downloadable list of 30 self reflection journaling prompts.