Zero waste isn’t just about the trash or the plastic. The modern environmentalist lives in a way that is mindful of their inner values, gentle on the environment, and still creative and chic! Today’s guest is Anita Vandyke: rocket scientist, blogger, and author of “A Zero Waste Life: A Thirty Day Guide”.
Aileen and Anita talk about how decluttering brings you both physical and mental space, how to be a minimalist and still wear designer clothing, what a ‘zero waste’ life truly looks like, and much more.
In this episode we explore:
- 1:35 – Why Anita quit her corporate job as a rocket scientist to study medicine
- 3:20 – From maximalist to minimalist: Consumerism, financial struggles, and responsibility to the environment
- 7:51 – How zero waste and minimalism can improve your relationships and bring you back to your values
- 10:00 – “Eco-luxe living”: Having a beautiful, mindful, and sustainable life (while still looking stylish)
- 15:04 – Advice for beginners who want to spread the zero waste/minimalism message
- 16:24 – A Zero Waste Life: How ‘zero waste’ goes beyond trash, recycling, and plastic
- 18:13 – The truth and danger of recycling plastic + The big four sustainable living switches
- 22:44 – Privilege, accessibility & ways to make zero waste work for your own life
- 27:02 – Anita’s year of giving back: Balancing being a new mom, writing a book, studying medicine, and blogging
- 29:55 – How do bring zero waste to the manufacturers creating the waste?
- 33:02 – Q&A: Anita’s dream life, recommended resource, life-changing habit, best received advice & favorite part about life
- A Zero Waste Life
- Tidying & Konmari Playlist
- My 3 Step Waste System (Bokashi bin)
- Cradle to Cradle by Michael Braungart & William McDonough
- Dropps | dropps.com/lavendaire (Promo code: LAVENDAIRE)
- The modern environmentalist is about living sustainably but also living in a chic way.
- Now that I know better, I have to do better.
- Plastic is mother nature’s non-renewable resource, and time is ours.
Please leave us a review on iTunes. It helps more than you know <3