113: Navigating Career Paths, Passion Projects & the Job Search w/ Lauren McGoodwin
Today's guest is the expert on all things career, especially for ambitious women and anyone just entering the workforce. Lauren McGoodwin is a self-proclaimed “career center poster girl” and the founder of Career Contessa, a site dedicated to helping women build and excel in fulfilling careers.
This episode will answer your top questions about career building and job hunting, like “How do I find a career I'll actually enjoy?” and “What do I put on my resume if I've never worked before?”
In this episode we explore:
- 1:24 – From “career center poster girl” to unemployed grad, to CEO of Career Contessa
- 4:16 – How do I know when to quit my day job and go full-time with my passion project?
- 6:42 – How do I find the right career that's fulfilling to me?
- 8:54 – What's the biggest mistake I can make that would holds me back from a fulfilling career?
- 11:39 – Analysis paralysis: How do I narrow down which career path to pursue?
- 15:11 – How do I apply for jobs when I have no work experience?
- 19:41 – What do I do when I have a degree in one field, but want a job in another field?
- 21:41 – How do I bring up salary at interviews? How can I make sure I'm paid fairly?
- 26:25 – Networking: How can I meet people and maintain connections? How do I make networking feel more authentic?
- 29:44 – How am I supposed to pursue my passion if I'm broke / don't have time to work on it?
- 32:14 – Q&A: Lauren's dream life, book recommendation, life-changing habit, best received advice & favorite part about life
- The Salary Project
- The Femails
- Networking Tracker
- Own It: The Power of Women at Work by Sallie Krawcheck
- Brave, Not Perfect: Fear Less, Fail More, and Live Bolder by Reshma Saujani
- Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts. by Brené Brown
- 2019 Artist of Life Workbook + Daily Planner | shop.lavendaire.com
- Your next move is your best move because as long as you're moving forward, that's a good thing.
- Networking is like a muscle. The more you flex it, the stronger it gets.
- Life happens while you're making plans.
How much do you really know about yourself?
Discover more about yourself and what you want out of life with this free downloadable list of 30 self reflection journaling prompts.