Today’s guest is the expert on all things career, especially for ambitious women and anyone just entering the workforce. Lauren McGoodwin is a self-proclaimed “career center poster girl” and the founder of Career Contessa, a site dedicated to helping women build and excel in fulfilling careers.
This episode will answer your top questions about career building and job hunting, like “How do I find a career I’ll actually enjoy?” and “What do I put on my resume if I’ve never worked before?”
In this episode we explore:
- 1:24 – From “career center poster girl” to unemployed grad, to CEO of Career Contessa
- 4:16 – How do I know when to quit my day job and go full-time with my passion project?
- 6:42 – How do I find the right career that’s fulfilling to me?
- 8:54 – What’s the biggest mistake I can make that would holds me back from a fulfilling career?
- 11:39 – Analysis paralysis: How do I narrow down which career path to pursue?
- 15:11 – How do I apply for jobs when I have no work experience?
- 19:41 – What do I do when I have a degree in one field, but want a job in another field?
- 21:41 – How do I bring up salary at interviews? How can I make sure I’m paid fairly?
- 26:25 – Networking: How can I meet people and maintain connections? How do I make networking feel more authentic?
- 29:44 – How am I supposed to pursue my passion if I’m broke / don’t have time to work on it?
- 32:14 – Q&A: Lauren’s dream life, book recommendation, life-changing habit, best received advice & favorite part about life
- The Salary Project
- The Femails
- Networking Tracker
- Own It: The Power of Women at Work by Sallie Krawcheck
- Brave, Not Perfect: Fear Less, Fail More, and Live Bolder by Reshma Saujani
- Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts. by Brené Brown
- 2019 Artist of Life Workbook + Daily Planner | shop.lavendaire.com
- Your next move is your best move because as long as you’re moving forward, that’s a good thing.
- Networking is like a muscle. The more you flex it, the stronger it gets.
- Life happens while you’re making plans.
Please leave us a review on iTunes. It helps more than you know <3