Today I have a dear friend on the podcast: Karen Rosalie! Karen is a photographer and founder of Rosalie Agency, creating campaigns for beauty brands like Summer Fridays, Kopari Beauty, and Living Proof.
You may remember Karen from my Artist of Life Series on YouTube in 2016. Karen was just starting her freelance career and she has grown her business so much since then: starting an LLC, working with bigger and bigger brands, and expanding her business to include a team and studio.
We talked about what it’s like to pursue your passion with a “This has to work” mentality, the struggles and joys of being your own boss, and what comes next when you finally find yourself living the life you used to dream of living.
In this episode we explore:
- 3:11 – Pursuing a creative career: Unsupportive parents, isolation, and not having a back-up plan
- 9:11 – How to get clients: Getting your foot in the door and starting with the resources you already have
- 11:02 – Why you should start an LLC before you’re ready (and even if you don’t want one)
- 14:40 – The challenges being your own boss + How to price your work as a creative
- 16:40 – How it feels to be exactly where you dreamed of being years ago, and what comes next
- 21:54 – Finding inspiration + A week in the life of a photographer and business owner
- 26:41 – Advice for creatives: Pushing through uncertainty & Taking action during overwhelm
- 29:52 – “Keep it simple, stupid” – The importance of knowing yourself and what matters to you
- 31:51 – The evolution of a photographer’s personal aesthetic & Balancing it with client expectations
- 36:29 – Q&A: Karen’s dream life, book recommendation, life-changing habit, best received advice & favorite part about life
- Karen Rosalie: Fashion Photographer – Artist of Life Ep. 1
- Should You Shoot for FREE? (& Other Pricing Questions for Photographers)
- On Writing by Stephen King
- 2019 Artist of Life Workbook + Daily Planner | shop.lavendaire.com
- If you’re on the path to self improvement, there’s always going to be a next step
- As you learn more about the world, you learn more about yourself.
Please leave us a review on iTunes. It helps more than you know <3